Friday, May 23, 2014

Epic Failure!

"It happened again.  It happened again."  I've thought that phrase so many times it's ridiculous.  So often Christians look at their behavior and attitudes and can only feel one thing, shame.  Shame because there seems to be a huge gap between what we say we believe and how we actually conduct ourselves.  This is a gap which skeptics and critics are all too happy to point out.  

One of the most freeing moments of my life was when I realized that, without Christ, failure is just failure.  Without redemption, it is a point worthy of shame.  But Jesus makes our failure epic.  Epic because He came and absorbed God's wrath against our failure.  Epic because He knew what a failure I'd be and He payed the price anyway.  Epic because every sin I've committed and the ones I'll commit in the future are already redeemed and wiped away.  

Our failure is epic because, once redeemed by Jesus, it serves as a billboard displaying how good and gracious and loving our God is.  

Don't focus on changing your behavior or having an ultra-spiritual experience.  That motivation is only temporary and it results in disappointment more often than not.  Focus on Jesus and what He's already done for you.  After all, it's His kindness that leads us to Him (Rom 2:4).

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Ball Is Coming To You

Allow me a word specifically for men.  It could be for most anyone, but specifically I'm thinking of the men I know: “The ball is coming...